Skip to navigation


Ensuring Appropriate Child Support

The Law Offices of Dan Allan & Associates represents parents in the determination and enforcement of child support under Alaska law. It may be necessary for an attorney to step in to ensure that the formula is correctly applied. We can also help hold the other parent to their obligation to ensure the best interests of the child are served.

Our family law attorneys represent custodial or non-custodial parents in Anchorage, Palmer, Wasilla and throughout Alaska. Contact us for answers to your questions and experienced legal advocacy.

Determination of Child Support in Alaska

Years ago, the state of Alaska established child support guidelines to ensure uniformity and fairness in the calculation of child support. The base formula applies to the non-custodial parent's adjusted income:

  • 20 percent for one child

  • 27 percent for two children

  • 33 percent for three children

  • 36 percent for four children

  • 3 percent for each additional child

If there is shared custody, defined as physical custody for at least 30 percent of the year (110 or more overnights), the formula is based on the parents' combined income. Other factors in adjusting child support include daycare costs, private school tuition, unreimbursed health care expenses, and special services for the child.

The state formula is based on the first $105,000 of the paying parent's income or combined incomes. For higher earning capacity, the amount must be determined by a judge or negotiated and approved by the court.

Dan Allan & Associates works to ensure that all factors are properly considered and that the state has accurate information about income. If a self-employed spouse is underreporting or intentionally underemployed, the state can impute income and hold the non-custodial parent to that level of support.

Modification and Enforcement of Child Support

We can also assist clients if the other parent has stopped paying child support. A formal contempt complaint enables garnishment of wages or further action such as liens against the paying parent's bank accounts and property.

If financial circumstances have changed — the paying parent gets a new job or promotion, or suffers a job layoff or other hardship — the court can be petitioned to modify support upward or downward. Our lawyers can advise and represent you in these proceedings.

At Dan Allan & Associates, we believe that the financial support of one's children is a sacred obligation, but we also protect the rights of non-custodial parents to be assessed no more than a fair level of support. Call our Anchorage office at 907-344-8851 to discuss your situation in a free initial consultation.