Resolving Disputes of Unmarried Partners

Resolving Disputes of Unmarried Partners

Our law firm has provided cutting edge advocacy for same-sex couples dating back to long before the law recognized same-sex marriages. Married and unmarried couples in same-sex relationships have the same issues relating to property division and custody of children if the relationship breaks down.

The Law Office of Dan Allan & Associates in Anchorage has experience in domestic partnership dissolutions, as well as same-sex divorce representation. We can help negotiate the terms of an amicable settlement, or make sure that our client is treated fairly in contested court proceedings. Our experienced domestic partnership and same-sex divorce lawyers take cases throughout Alaska. Arrange a free consultation at 907-344-8851.

Addressing Family Law Issues Related to Domestic Partnerships

Alaska has one of the highest rates of unmarried couples living together. But whether you have been together one year or 20 years, Alaska does not confer common law marriage status. Many people find out the hard way that the protections of a state-licensed marriage do not apply when their domestic partnership ends. There is no entitlement to an equitable share of wealth accumulated together, especially if property is owned in the other person's name.

Dan Allan has practiced law in Alaska since 1981. He understands the dynamics of our diverse and transient population, and recognizes that those who choose domestic partnerships for whatever reason nonetheless deserve to get out what they contributed to the relationship. He has helped resolve, through negotiation or litigation:

  • Equity in a shared house
  • Division of other jointly acquired property
  • Division of retirement contributions
  • Splitting jointly acquired debts
  • Child custody and visitation rights
  • Child support obligations

Call Our Trial-Proven Attorneys for a Free Initial Consultation

We are conveniently located in the Dimond Center in Anchorage and represent clients throughout Alaska. Call 907-344-8851 or send us an email to learn your rights and discuss your legal options to protect what you brought to the relationship or secure your fair share if everything was in the other party's name.

Se habla español — Мы Говорим по-Русски